In order to properly complete a Utah title upon sale, follow these instructions. Please refer to our Utah replacement title instructions for getting a duplicate title if your title has been lost or damaged.
Utah Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer Instructions
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title, the release section on the lower left part must have been completed. Otherwise, an original release document from the lien holder must be obtained.
- On the back of the title, see the “SELLER” section. Beginning at the top fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer reflects the actual mileage, check the first box. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ is not actual mileage for this vehicle. WARNING-ODOMETER DISCREPANCY” (If vehicle is over ten years old, odometer info is not required).
- Enter the date of sale, and the purchase price in the boxes provided
- The seller must print name(s) and sign on the lines as provided. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “Owner Information”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of of BOTH registered owners are required. Sign on the line below the printed name(s) as indicated.
- Enter current address.
- Sign and date in the space at the bottom of the “SELLER” section.
- In the same way, in the “BUYER” section, the buyer must print, enter address, and sign. DO NOT RELEASE THE TITLE WITHOUT THE BUYER’S NAME(S) AND SIGNATURE(S).
- Prepare a Bill of Sale for buyer, with copy for yourself. It should show year, make and model, license number, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), date of sale, purchase price, and current addresses. It must be signed by the seller. You can use the form at http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-843.pdf
- Keep your license plates.
- Give the new owner the signed title, current registration certificate, and current safety and emission certificates.
- Notify the Division of Motor Vehicles in writing that your vehicle has been sold. You can do this online at https://mvp.tax.utah.gov/_/#1 . If necessary, you can contact a DMV office at locations shown by http://dmv.utah.gov/contact/offices
Utah Title Helpful Tips
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where the Seller Signs the Utah Title
You are here: