In order to properly complete a Massachusetts Certificate of Title when you are selling a vehicle, please follow this guide:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer Instructions
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title, they will have been released before the title was sent to you. If you do not have the title, you can check the official status of the title and liens against the title online at https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/TitleLookup/intro.aspx. You must have the title to sell the car.
- On the back of the title you will fill in the area below ASSIGNMENT OF CERTIFICATE OF TITLE BY OWNER.
- Enter the SALE PRICE, printed name of PURCHASER, and DATE OF SALE.
- On the next line print the address of the purchaser.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “I hereby state the odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- The seller(s) signs and prints name(s) in the indicated spaces (If more than one name, you will have to squeeze them in). MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER(S) NAME AND ADDRESS”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Enter DATE in the indicated space.
- Similarly, the purchaser(s) signs, prints, and dates in the spaces provided.
- Make photocopy of both sides of the completed title for your records.
- Keep your license plates.
- If you need assistance, locations of Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) offices can be found at http://www.massrmv.com/BranchMap.aspx
Be Careful With the Title
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Sell a Car to FCB in Massachusetts
We offer a safe, reliable, and fast way to sell a vehicle. We also offer junk car removal services in the following cities if your car no longer starts up and runs. If you have questions about the title, we can also help you as part of our convenient service.
You are here: