In order to properly complete a Wyoming title upon sale, follow these instructions:
SELLER / REGISTERED OWNER – Title Transfer Instructions
Steps to sell a car in Wyoming:
As the seller, be aware that all entries and signatures on the title must be witnessed and signed off by a Notary Public. You will make entries on the middle portion on the back of the title.
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title, the release section to the right of the lienholder must have been completed. Otherwise, an original release document from the lienholder must be obtained. If no liens are shown, ignore this requirement.
- Now, on the back of the title beginning at the the top, print the name and address of the buyer(s) in the spaces provided.
- The next section is the “ODOMETER DISCLOSURE STATEMENT”. On the first line insert your full name as it appears on the front of the title. On the line that says “now reads” enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer reflects the actual mileage, check the box below that says “the actual mileage of the vehicle”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the last box that says “the odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING-ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- In the next section PRINT the seller’s name (or names) on the 3rd and 4th lines as indicated. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an an “OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Now sign on the 1st and 2nd lines
- Enter the date of sale on the line shown below the printed names.
- The next part will be done by the Notary Public.
- You will need a notarized Bill of Sale. It is your only record that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. It can be on any form, but must show the dollar amount, the buyer, year and make of the vehicle and VIN, and a statement that the title is free and clear of liens or encumbrances. Sign it and have it notarized at the same time you do the title transfer. Buyer will need a copy. A sample can be seen at http://www.natrona.net/DocumentCenter/Home/View/572. Some counties have their own forms, while other counties may have no form. The type of form doesn’t matter as long as the information is complete.
- Keep your license plates.
Follow these instructions when filling out and transferring a title in Wyoming:
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
You are here: