In order to properly complete a Washington title upon sale, use the following instructions. If you have a lost or damaged Washington car title, you might be able to sell your car as junk or get a replacement title.
Seller / Registered Owner Process
There are two documents required of the seller: Title and Report of Sale
- Halfway down on the right hand side of the title under “Registered Owner” sign on the line exactly as printed just above. Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an “OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can print sign their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the printing and signatures of BOTH registered owners are required. Enter the date after the signature(s)
- At the bottom of the page is the odometer statement. On the line that says “...THE ODOMETER READING IS” enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer reflects the actual mileage, check the box below that says “the actual mileage of the vehicle”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box below that says “not the actual mileage”. At the bottom right one seller signature is required with the printed name below it.
REPORT OF SALE – within 5 working days
This is the document/procedure that actually RELEASES YOU from responsibility for the vehicle. It must be received by the Department of Licensing within 5 working days of the sale. It includes information that is on the Title, the sales price, as well as information about the buyer, so BE SURE TO GET THAT ALL INFORMATION BEFORE YOU LET GO OF THE TITLE! (to see what you need, view form online at http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420062.pdf ) With the information at your fingertips you can make the report online at https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/rosprod/
TAKE YOUR LICENSE PLATES OFF THE VEHICLE. Remove or invalidate the month and year tabs.
BUYER – if buying from an individual.
There are three documents required of the Buyer: The existing Title, Bill of Sale, and Title Application. Some counties require an emissions testing report- see below. THESE MUST BE PRESENTED TO A DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING OFFICE. Office locations can be found at https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/vehoffices/
- Make sure you have the vehicle title before taking possession of the vehicle.
- Verify that the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the dashboard matches the number printed on the title.
- Make sure seller’s name is printed and signed exactly as appears in the top part of the title, and that title has not been altered in any way..
- Make sure there are no lenders (“SECURITY INTERESTS”) listed to the left of the “Registered Owner” (If there are, you will need from the seller a notarized release from the lender.)
- Make sure the person(s) signing the title are the person(s) named on the title.
- Make sure odometer (mileage) section is correct and signed
BILL OF SALE
Together with buyer prepare hard copies of the Bill of Sale. The form is available online at http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420065.pdf (or from Vehicle licensing offices). The Bill of Sale requires the following information.
- Date of sale
- Sales Price
- Model year, make and model (from title)
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) and your license plate number
- Seller(s) full name(s) and complete current address
- The full name and complete current address of the buyer(s), including street name and number, and apartment number if applicable, or PO Box number, city or town, and postal code.
- All parties (both seller(s) and buyer(s) must sign in the spaces provided
The Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application procedures and form are available online at http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420001.html . It is strongly recommended that this form be filled out at a Department of Licensing Office. If you attempt to do otherwise, you must have it sealed by a Notary Public. Then you still have to get the paperwork to one of the Offices for processing and payment of fees.
EMISSIONS TESTING REPORT
If you are registering the vehicle in Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish or Spokane Counties you will need an Emissions Testing Report along with the above paperwork. Online website at ttp://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#1 gives complete information as well as TEST STATION LOCATIONS.
Also very important
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
The Seller Signature on the Title
You are here: