In order to properly complete a Virginia Certificate of Title when selling a vehicle, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Steps
- If there are any liens shown on the title, they will have been released before the title was sent to you. You must have the released title to sell the car.
- On the front of the title you will fill in the blocked area at the bottom.
- Print the Buyer(s) name and address on the lines provided.
- Enter the DATE OF SALE and SALE PRICE on the lines provided.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “The odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- The seller(s) signs and prints name(s) in the indicated spaces (a second set of lines is provided for more than one seller). MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “Name(s) and address(es) of vehicle owners”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Similarly, the purchaser(s) signs and prints in the spaces provided. Make sure this is done.
- Make photocopy of both sides of the completed title for your records.
- Notify Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the sale. You can do this online at https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmvnet/pin_maint/pin_logon.aspx?SESS=NEW. You may also phone or mail – see https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/general/#utilities/contact.asp
- You always have the option of doing all things in person. Locations of DMV offices can be found at the link https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/DMVLocator/
- Keep your license plates. You can transfer to another vehicle, or dispose of them.
Also Keep in Mind
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where the Seller Signs the Title
You are here: