In order to properly complete a Vermont Certificate of Title when selling a vehicle, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Steps
1. If there are any liens against the vehicle that are not released, and the vehicle is 15 years old or less, you must obtain a replacement title. Submit form VT-008: http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VT-008-Release_Of_Lien.pdf . (Note: if the vehicle is older than 15 years, all you need is a Bill of Sale).
2. Bill of Sale. Regardless of the status of the title you will need to do a Bill of Sale. Use the form at: http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VT-005-Bill_Of_Sale_Odometer_Cert.pdf
3. Forms can also be obtained in person at Department of Motor Vehicle offices. Locations can found at the link: http://dmv.vermont.gov/locations
4. The Title. On the back of the title you will fill out completely the upper block of information that says ASSIGNMENT OF OWNERSHIP.
5. Print the buyer(s) name and complete address on the two lines indicated.
6. Fill in the odometer reading on the line provided (Not required if vehicle is 10 years or older). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ I certify that the odometer reading is not the actual mileage WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
7. The seller(s) signs and prints name(s) on the two lines that are side by side (A second set of lines are provided if more than one seller). MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER(S) NAME(S) AND ADDRESS”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required. Date the signatures in the space provided.
8. The buyer(s) signs and dates on the next line.
9. Be sure to keep a copy of the Bill of Sale.
10. Keep your license plates.
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Duplicate Title Instructions
If your title is lost or damaged, please check out our replacement title instructions for Vermont.
Where Seller signs the Vermont Title
You are here: