In order to properly complete a South Carolina title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Steps
- South Carolina provides copies of titles once liens are satisfied.
- On the back of the title you will fill in the top block ASSIGNMENT OF A VEHICLE.
- Enter the date in the spaces indicated on the first line.
- Fill in the buyer name and address on the next line.
- Buyer provides name of buyer’s lienholder, if any.
- Next, fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the item that says “The odometer reading not the actual mileage. WARNING: ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- In the small box to the right, fill in the Date of Sale and Sale Price on the lines provided.
- The Buyer(s) signs, and prints name on the line beneath the odometer section.
- At bottom right, the seller(s) signs on the indicated line, and prints name on the line provided beneath, and the address on the line below that. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “FULL NAME OF OWNER(S)”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). If more than one name, you will have to squeeze them in on the line. Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Notice of Vehicle Sold. This form must be submitted immediately upon sale of your vehicle. The form is at http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/Forms/416.pdf
- Bill of Sale. If the title was issued prior to June 19, 1989 you must also complete a Bill of Sale. A sample form is available at http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/Forms/4031.pdf , but you cannot print this yourself. An original must be obtained from the DMV.
- Locations of South Carolina DMV offices can be found at http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/offloclist.aspx
- Give the title or Bill of Sale to the Buyer. Make photocopy of the assigned title for your records.
- You can transfer your plates to a new vehicle. Otherwise they must be returned to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Other Helpful Info
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where the Seller Signs the Title
If your South Carolina car title was lost or damaged check out our helpful resources.
You are here: