In order to properly complete a Pennsylvania Certificate of Title when selling a vehicle, you can follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer
NOTE: Title signatures of both seller and buyer must be witnessed and sealed by a NOTARY PUBLIC or an otherwise authorized PennDOT agent. Locations of PennDot agents can be found at the link https://www.dot3.state.pa.us/locator/locator.jsp#top?20170329151837544=20170329151837544
- If there are liens shown on the front of your title, they must be released. Normal practice is for the lienholder to send you the title only after the lien is paid off. So, you should have your paper title with liens released, or with no liens on it. If not the case, contact the lienholder.
- On the back of the title, the top portion ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE (Section A) will be filled in.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “is NOT the actual mileage. WARNING – Odometer discrepancy”.
- To the right of the odometer information print purchaser(s) full name and address on the lines provided.
- Enter the PURCHASE PRICE.
- Do not sign anything until you are with the NOTARY PUPLIC or authorized agent.
- Purchaser signs on the indicated line(s). If more than one purchaser, each must sign on the lines provided.
- Print purchaser name(s) on the line provided beneath the signatures.
- The seller(s) then signs name(s) on the lines provided, and prints name(s) on the line provided beneath the signatures. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “REGISTERED OWNER(S)”. If more than one, you will have to squeezes them in. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Now have the NOTARY PUBLIC complete the document.
- Get a receipt whereby the buyer acknowledges delivery of the title and vehicle. Include Date of Sale, Make, Model, Title Number, VIN, and Buyer’s name and address. Buyer signs it. If you can, make a photocopy of both sides of the assigned title.
- Keep your license plate. You can transfer it to another of your vehicles. If not, return it to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Return Tag Unit, 1st Floor, 1101 South Front Street, Harrisburg, PA 17104.
- Entries on the front of the title are made only by the buyer. Seller has no part in this.
Other Title Tips
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Seller Signature on the Title
Duplicate Title in Pennsylvania
Please refer to our PA replacement title instructions for duplicate titles if your title has been lost or damaged.
You are here: