In order to properly complete a Oklahoma Certificate of Title when selling a vehicle, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer
- As the seller, your signature on the assignment of the title MUST BE NOTARIZED.
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title, you will need to obtain an original release document from the lien holder. The form you will need is at https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/797-C.pdf
- On the front of the title you will fill out the lower part under the heading ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE BY REGISTERED OWNER (Older titles have this same block of information on the back at the top. Ignore the “Dealer Number” entry).
- Print the purchaser(s) name and complete address on the two lines provided. DO NOT FAIL TO DO THIS.
- Enter the actual purchase price on the line provided (If there happens to be no space provided for purchase price, add form https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/722-1.pdf ).
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required if vehicle is ten or more years old). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ The odometer reading is not actual mileage Warning – Odometer Discrepancy” (If there happens to be no block for odometer, add form https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/729.pdf )
- The seller must print name(s) and sign on the lines as provided. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “NAME AND ADDRESS OF VEHICLE OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required. Sign your name(s) on the line next to the printed name(s) as indicated.
- Have your signature(s) NOTARIZED.
- Your plates stay on the car and go with the buyer. Although not required, it is recommended that you submit to the Motor Vehicle Division a”Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a Vehicle”. The form is on line at https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/773.pdf . On newer titles this a tear off section that can be removed and submitted.
- For assistance or forms there are many Oklahoma motor license agents throughout the state. Locations can be found at https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/Motor_Vehicle/Find_a_Tag_Agent/ .
Be Careful on the Title
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Seller Signature on Oklahoma Title
Duplicate Title in Oklahoma
If your title is lost or damaged, then you will probably need to get a replacement. This is also know as a “duplicate title”. You can refer to these replacement title instructions to get a clear idea of what you need to do for this.
Service Areas in Oklahama: We are currently buying cars in Oklahoma City where we offer cash for cars.
You are here: