In order to properly complete a New York title upon sale, follow these instructions:
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to have it signed off by the lienholder, or obtain an original release document from the lienholder. You can check the official status of liens against the title online at https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/check-title-or-lien-status.
- On the back of the title you will fill in SECTION 1 – Transfer by Owner
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required if vehicle is over ten years old). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer reflects the actual mileage, check that box. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “not the actual mileage WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”. Check the appropriate box under “ODOMETER HAS SPACE FOR”.
- DAMAGE DISCLOSURE STATEMENT: Check the appropriate box (Not required if vehicle is over 8 years old).
- The seller(s) signs on the indicated line, and prints name on the line provided to the right. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “Name and Address of Owner(s)”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). If more than one name, you will have to squeeze them in on the line. Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required. Enter address and date in the spaces provided.
- The purchaser(s) signs on the indicated line, and prints name on the line provided to the right. Address and date are entered in spaces provided.
- You and buyer make and sign a Bill of Sale. Form available at https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv912.pdf. Keep a copy for yourself.
- Make photocopy of both sides of the completed title for your records.
- Keep your license plates, and remove registration sticker from the windshield.
- If you need assistance, locations of New York DMV offices can be found at https://dmv.ny.gov/org/offices
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
NY Duplicate Titles
If you need a replacement (duplicate title) check out these replacement instructions for New York.
Signing the New York Title
You are here: