In order to properly complete a Nebraska Certificate of Title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer
All signatures on the title and Bill of Sale must be Notarized.
- First, make sure the title is clear. If there are liens shown on the front of the title, you must acquire an original Letter of Lien Release from the lender showing that the lien has been paid in full.
- Now, on the front of the title begin on the left at the section that says “SELLER MUST COMPLETE”. (Some old titles may have this on the back)
- Just below that, enter your mileage in the space provided EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box below that says “the odometer reading is not the actual mileage – WARNING ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- Next section is clearly stated “ALL OWNERS WHOSE NAMES APPEAR ON THE FACE OF THIS TITLE MUST SIGN”. There are three lines for signatures, but only one of the signer’s name need be printed on the fourth line. Make the signature exactly reflect the names on the title just below where it says “OWNER(S) NAME AND ADDRESS”. Same for the one required printed name.
- Under the printed name enter Date of Sale in the space provided.
- Now, to the right, under PURCHASER’S INFORMATION, enter the name(s) and address of the purchaser.
- Below that, the purchaser signs and prints his/her name(s).
- Finally, the signatures must be notarized.
- A Bill of Sale must be prepared. Both parties sign and have it notarized. Make a copy for yourself. The form can be obtained at the link http://www.dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/pdf/billofsale.pdf
A title is a legal document. Be careful of the following:
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Duplicate Title in Nebraska
If your title is lost or damaged, then you will probably need to get a replacement. This is also know as a “duplicate title”. Check out the replacement title instructions to find out how to do this.
You are here: