In order to properly complete a Mississippi title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title, the release section on the lower part must have been completed. Otherwise, an original release document from the lien holder must be obtained.
- On the back of the title beginning at the the top section, print the name and address of the buyer(s) in the spaces provided.
- Next, fill the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “the odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING-ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- Enter the date of sale.
- The seller must print name(s) and sign on the lines as provided. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of of BOTH registered owners are required. Sign on the line below the printed name(s) as indicated.
- In the same way the buyer must print and sign. DO NOT RELEASE THE TITLE WITHOUT THE BUYER’S NAME(S) AND SIGNATURE(S).
- Prepare a Bill of Sale for buyer, with copy for yourself. No specific form is required but it should show year, make and model, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), date of sale, purchase price, names and addresses of seller and buyer. It must be signed by both seller and buyer.
- Keep your license plates. Turn them in to the County Tax Collector’s office to clear your name from ownership of the vehicle. Copy front and back of title and keep for your records. County Tax Collector Office locations can be found at http://www.dor.ms.gov/Pages/Contact-MVL.aspx.
A Title is a Legal Document
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where to sign the Mississippi Title When Selling a Car
Replacement and Duplicate Titles in Mississippi
Please refer to our Mississippi replacement title instructions for duplicate titles if your title has been lost or damaged.
Sell My Car Service Areas:
We currently buy cars in the Jackson, MS cash for cars service area.
You are here: