In order to properly complete a Maine title upon sale, follow these instructions:
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to have it signed off by the lienholder, or obtain an original release document from the lienholder. See RELEASE OF LIEN form at the link http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/forms/MVT-12%20Release%20of%20Lien%20%201-2013.pdf . Note: Vehicles from years 1994 and earlier will not have valid titles. See steps 9 and 10 below.
- On the back of the title you will fill out completely the upper block of information that says ASSIGNMENT OF OWNERSHIP.
- Print the buyer(s) name and address on the lines provided. Enter Date of Sale.
- Under ODOMETER DISCLOSURE STATEMENT fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “Not Actual: I certify that the odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”. Also, if not the actual mileage, fill out ODOMETER INFORMATION form available at http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/forms/MVT-32%20Odometer%20Info%20in%20tan%201-2013.pdf . Keep it with the title.
- Below the odometer section the seller(s) signs name(s) on the lines provided at the left. Print names on the lines to the right. Enter the Date. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Print seller’s address on the next line.
- The buyer then makes entries, if any, on the next section LIENHOLDER TO BE SHOWN ON NEW TITLE.
- Finally, the buyer(s) signs and prints on the last line, and enters Date. Don’t release title without buyer(s) signature.
- Along with the buyer make a Bill of Sale. This must include the make, model, year, color, VIN, date, purchase price, and current license plate number. It must have the name(s) and address of both the seller and the buyer. Seller and buyer sign.
- Give the buyer the title and Bill of Sale. Make copies for your records. For vehicles year 1994 and older give the buyer the Bill of Sale.
- Keep your license plates.
- For assistance Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicle office locations can be found at http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/locations/index.html .
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
You are here: