In order to properly complete an Louisiana title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / REGISTERED OWNER TILE TRANSFER
NOTE: SIGNATURES ON TITLE AND BILL OF SALE MUST BE NOTARIZED.
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to obtain an original release document from the lien holder.
- On the back of the title you will fill out the upper part under the heading ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE BY REGISTERED OWNER.
- Enter the date and selling price in the spaces provided.
- Print the buyer(s) name and complete address on the next line.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required if vehicle is ten or more years old). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ The odometer reading is NOT actual mileage WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- The buyer(s) signs and prints name(s) on the two lines provided (If more than one name, squeeze into the space).
- Next to the buyer signatures the seller must print name(s) and sign on the lines as provided (If more than one name, they must be squeezed into the space). MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- The certificate of title must be signed BY THE SELLER in the presence of a NOTARY PUBLIC OR TWO WITNESSES. If executed in the presence of two witnesses, the Acknowledgment of Witness must then be signed by one of the witnesses in the presence of a NOTARY PUBLIC.
- Submit a LOUISIANA NOTICE OF VEHICLE TRANSFER. You can do this online at https://expresslane.dps.louisiana.gov/Notice_of_Transfer/VT_page_1.aspx
- Make a Bill of Sale for yourself and the buyer. Give year, make and model, VIN, name and addresses of seller and buyer, the sales price, and the date. Seller and buyer sign. Signatures must be NOTARIZED.
- You need to include a copy of a state issued photo ID for each seller on the title.
- Keep your license plates.
- For assistance there are Louisiana license agents throughout the state. Locations can be found at http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omvfielddirections.nsf/$parish?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1200&Collapse=6#6
Be Careful when Filling Out the Title
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where the Seller Sign the Louisiana Title
Replacement and Duplicate Titles in Louisiana
Please refer to our Louisiana replacement title instructions for duplicate titles if your title has been lost or damaged.
Sell Your Car To Family Car Buyers
In Lousiana, Family Car Buyers is currently purchasing vehicles and providing on-site pick up on cash for cars in New Orleans.
You are here: