In order to properly complete a Kentucky title upon sale, follow these instructions:
SELLER / REGISTERED OWNER TITLE TRANSFER INSTRUCTIONS:
We also have replacement title instructions for Kentucky if your title was lost or damaged.
NOTE: ALL SELLER AND BUYER SIGNATURES MUST BE NOTARIZED
- Most Kentucky titles will have been issued after 2-28-2000, and will be 8.5 X 11 in size (If title was issued prior to 2-28-2000 it will be 7 X 8 in size. Slightly different handling of these titles is required. For these titles you will need to fill out form TC 96-182, available at the link http://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Forms/TC%2096-182.pdf . This form basically provides the detailed information that is already contained in the 8.5 X 11 titles.
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to have the lienholder provide a termination statement to the county clerk.
- On the back of both types of titles there is a similar ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE or TRANSFER OF TITLE BY OWNER
- Enter name(s) and address of buyer(s) on the first line at the top.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required if vehicle is ten or more years old). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ The odometer reading is not actual mileage WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”
- On the next two lines on the left, the seller (Transferor) must print name(s) and sign on the lines as provided. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required. Sign your name(s) on the line above the printed name(s) as indicated.
- Below that, enter date of sale.
- To the left of the seller names, the buyer (Transferee) prints and signs as indicated.
- ALL signatures are then NOTARIZED.
- If using the SMALL 7 X 8 title, continue on the “additional form” mentioned in step 1 above. Otherwise, continue on the title itself at APPLICATION FOR TITLE/AFFIDAVIT OF TOTAL CONSIDERATION:
- In the middle of the page find the block for SALE PRICE $ and enter the price.
- In the bottom half of the page fill in names of seller(s) and buyer(s) in the spaces provided on the left.
- Sign your name(s) as indicated, enter date of transfer, and have it NOTARIZED.
- In a similar way, the buyer fills in and signs on the right side, and has it NOTARIZED.
- Make copies of all paper work for yourself.
- License plates stay with the vehicle.
- For assistance, Kentucky County clerk offices can be found at http://drive.ky.gov/Pages/County-clerks.aspx
Be Careful Filling Out the Title
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where to Sign the Kentucky Title as the Seller:
You are here: