In order to properly transfer an Idaho title when you are the seller:
There are two documents required of the seller: Title and Release of Liability
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer Instructions
1) The first item to be filled in is the “ODOMETER READING” (mileage) located halfway down the page on the left side. In the block provided enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. Enter the date in the next block. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box underneath the mileage entry that says “Not Actual – Warning: Odometer Discrepancy”.
2) Below the mileage section fill in “DATE SOLD”, and to right of it the “SELLING PRICE”.
3) The section below the date is the “SELLER’S/REPRESENTATIVE’S PRINTED NAME(S). You must PRINT the name(s) EXACTLY as shown on the upper part of the of the Title under Owner’s name and address. If there is more than one owner, additional names must be printed on the same line.
4) Below the printed name(s) Sign the first printed name by the “X” exactly as printed just above. Any additional signature(s) are entered below the first one side by side next to the second “X”. Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an “OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can print and sign their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the printing and signatures of BOTH registered owners are required.
5) Now move to the right side of the page next to the area you have just completed to the section “PURCHASER’S PRINTED NAME(S). The buyer(s) must PRINT their name(s) and address in the spaces provided. Each Buyer then signs on the “X” lines. DO NOT RELEASE THE TITLE UNTIL THE BUYER’S SECTION IS COMPLETED AND SIGNED.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY (ROL) – within 5 days of sale
This is the document/procedure that actually RELEASES YOU from responsibility for the vehicle. The form is online at http://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/3858.pdf You will need information off of the Title, so BE SURE TO LOOK AT THIS FORM AND GET THE INFORMATION BEFORE YOU LET GO OF THE TITLE! Take the completed form to your local county assessor motor vehicle department within 5 days of the sale. Locations are at http://www.idaho.gov/aboutidaho/county/index.html Mailing instructions are also included on the form.
As the seller, take your license plates off the vehicle. Do not damage them. You can use them on your next vehicle and get credit for time remaining on them.
The Idaho Title is a Legal Document
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where to Sign the Idaho Title When Selling a Vehicle
You are here: