In order to properly complete a Florida title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer Instructions
- Florida maintains titles electronically in their database. When selling your car to an individual, you will need to obtain a paper title (Assuming you do not already have one). Go to https://services.flhsmv.gov/virtualoffice/ to get a paper title. You can also get a fast title by going to a tax Collector’s office. Locations for these offices can be found at: http://www.flhsmv.gov/locations/
- On the front of the title you and the purchaser will fill in information on the lower part beneath the heading TRANSFER OF TITLE BY SELLER.
- Print the buyer(s) name and complete address on the first line.
- Enter the Selling Price and Date Sold.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. Enter the date of the reading. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “…the odometer reading is not the actual mileage WARNING – ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- The purchaser (and co-purchaser, if any) signs on the indicated line(s), and prints name on the line provided to the right.
- Below that, the seller (and co-seller, if any) signs on the indicated line(s), and prints name on the line provided to the right. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “REGISTERED OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- You and the purchaser must fill out and sign a Notice of Sale and/or Bill of Sale. YOU must submit the Bill of Sale to your Local tax collector office. Make copies for yourself and purchaser. The form is online at Florida Form 82050 (pdf).
- Keep your license plates.
The Florida title is a legal document
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Replacement Title Instructions – Hawaii Duplicate Title
Lost or damaged title? Check out our Florida replacement title instructions or contact us to see if your vehicle can be junked (also know as a “duplicate title“)
Family Car Buyers in Florida Service Areas
- Tampa, FL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Tallahassee, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Miami, FL
- Pensacola, FL
- Daytona Beach, FL
- St. Petersburg, FL
- Pembroke Pines, FL
- Port St. Lucie, FL
- Hialeah, FL
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cape Coral, FL
- Coral Springs, FL
- Gainesville, FL
- Miramar, FL
- Hollywood, FL
You are here: