In order to properly complete a Connecticut title when selling a vehicle, follow these instructions:
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to have it signed off by the lienholder, or obtain an original release document from the lienholder.
- Note: Vehicles 20 years or older are not required to have titles. To transfer ownership, obtain the form Supplemental Assignment of Ownership at the link http://www.dmvct.state.ct.us/q1form.htm. Or, you can call or visit a DMV office using the link http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=884&Q=246432 .
- Title Transfer. On the back of the title you will fill out completely the upper block of information that says TRANSFER BY OWNER.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided. Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “I hereby certify that the odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING: ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- Next, print the name an address of buyer(s) in the spaces provided.
- Buyer fills in information regarding the lienholder, if any, that will be on buyer’s new title.
- Buyer then signs and prints name in the spaces provided
- Below the buyer signature, the seller(s) prints name and date sold in the indicated spaces. In the block to the right of the seller signatures MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER(S)”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Seller(s) signs in the bottom left block.
- Complete a Bill of Sale using the form http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/H31.pdf
- Give the assigned title (or “Supplemental Assignment of Ownership”) and Bill of Sale to the buyer. Make copies for your records.
- You may transfer your plates to a new vehicle. Otherwise remove and return plates to the DMV.
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Family Car Buyers offers junk car removal and car purchasing services across Connecticut and provides on location vehicle pick up in the following areas:
You are here: