In order to properly complete a Colorado title upon sale, follow these instructions:
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to have it signed off by the lienholder(s) (Or obtain an original release document from the lien holder).
- On the back of the title you will fill out the upper part beneath the heading NOTICE: ANY ALTERATION OR ERASURE MAY VOID THE ASSIGNMENT AND ALL ASSIGNMENTS THAT FOLLOW
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required if vehicle is ten or more years old). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer reflects the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “Actual Mileage”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ Not Actual – Warning: Odometer Discrepancy”.
- On the lines that follow on the left half of the page all names shown on the front of the title beneath “OWNER” must be individually printed and signed. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO or more registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. If there is an “AND” or nothing, the signatures and printed names of all registered owners are required. Sign your name(s) on the line below the printed name(s) as indicated.
- In the same way, the buyer prints and signs in the spaces provided to the right of the buyer section.
- Enter the date in the block provided.
- Enter purchase price in the block provided.
- Enter buyer’s address in the blocks provided.
- Fill out a Statement of Transfer form https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2445.pdf and give to buyer along with the title
- Make a Bill of Sale for yourself and the buyer. Give year, make and model, VIN, name and addresses of seller and buyer, the sales price, and the date. Seller and buyer sign.
- Keep your license plates.
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Colorado Service Areas:
Family Car Buyers currently offers “sell my car” services in Denver, CO.
Where to Sign the Colorado Title When Selling a Car To Family Car Buyers
You are here: