In order to properly complete an Arkansas title upon sale, follow these instructions:
SELLER / REGISTERED OWNER – TITLE TRANSFER INSTRUCTIONS
- Look for two things on the back of the title: if there is a space for odometer reading and sales price, you can use the title itself as the bill of sale and the odometer disclosure. Very old titles may not have this provision, and you will need a separate Bill of Sale/Odometer Disclosure Statement to go along with the title. The form is at http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Documents/OdometerStatement.pdf . Note that in all cases any vehicle over ten years old is exempt from odometer disclosure information.
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title, the release section to the right of the lienholder must have been completed. Otherwise, an original release document from the lienholder must be obtained. The form is at http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Documents/ReleaseofLien.pdf If no liens are shown, ignore this requirement.
- Now, on the back of the title beginning at the the top section, print the name and address of the buyer(s) in the spaces provided.
- At “ODOMETER DISCLOSURE STATEMENT”, in the box provided enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “the odometer reading is not the actual mileage. WARNING-ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”.
- Fill in the vehicle information in the spaces provided: VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN), year, make, and model.
- Enter the sales price on the line provided.
- Enter the date of sale.
- Both the seller and buyer must print and sign their names on the lines as provided. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). W here there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of of BOTH registered owners are requir ed. Sign on the line below the printed name(s) as indicated.
- Keep your license plates.
- Though not required, it is recommended that you submit Notice of transfer of ownership of your motor vehicle. The form is at http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Documents/NoticeofTransferOwnership.pdf
- If you need help or hard copy forms, any state Revenue Office can help. At the time of this writing, Arkansas has not maintained their website links very well so here is a link on Google. Beware of this because you probably wan to call them about any info you are trying to find because as mentioned links on their website might be outdated.
If you have a lost or damaged title in Arkansas, check out our replacement title instructions for duplicate title.
When filling out a title, always be careful of the following:
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where the seller signs the Arkansas Title
Service Areas In Arkansas include Little Rock, Arkansas.
You are here: