In order to properly complete an Alaska title upon sale, follow these instructions:
- If there are any liens shown on the title, you will need to have the lienholder complete the release on the title, or provide you with a lien release letter. Then you must apply for a new, clear title. See instructions at http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/titles/lien.htm
- On the back of the title you will fill in the blocked area at the top under Assignment of Vehicle Title.
- Print the name and complete address of the Buyer(s) on the lines provided.
- Enter Current Vehicle License Plate Number.
- Enter Date of Sale.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required for vehicles 10 years or older). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. As applicable, check the appropriate item about the validity of the reading.
- The seller(s) prints and signs name(s) on the lines provided (a second line is provided for more than one seller. Before the signature(s) MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS OF REGISTERED OWNER”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an“OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Buyer(s) signs in the spaces provided.
- Give the assigned title to the buyer.
- To protect yourself complete the Notice of Vehicle Transfer attached to the bottom of the original title and submit it to the DMV at this address: State of Alaska, Division of Motor Vehicles, ATTN: MAILOUTS, 1300 W Benson Boulevard STE 200, Anchorage AK 99503-3600. If the tear-off is missing from the title, you can get the form at http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/forms/pdfs/820.pdf .
- OR, you can make the Notification online at https://online.dmv.alaska.gov/dos/VehicleTransfer/VehicleTransfer
- It is recommended that you make a Bill of Sale. Include make, model, year, VIN, date of sale, price, name and address of buyer and seller. Both sign.
- The license plates go with the vehicle, unless they are specialty plates. In that case, keep them.
- Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office locations can be found at http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/office/index.htm
The Alaska Title Is a Legal Document
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
View Alaska lost damaged title instructions if you need a replacement title.
You are here: