In order to properly complete an Alabama title upon sale, follow these instructions:
SELLER / REGISTERED OWNER – TITLE TRANSFER
- If there are any liens shown on the front of the title that are not released, you will need to have it signed off by the lienholder (Or obtain an original release document from the lien holder).
- On the back of the title you will fill out the upper part under the heading ASSIGNMENT OF TITLE BY REGISTERED OWNER.
- Enter the date in the space provided.
- Print the buyer(s) name and complete address on the two lines provided. DO NOT FAIL TO DO THIS.
- Fill in the odometer reading in the space provided (Not required if vehicle is ten or more years old). Enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “ The odometer reading is not actual mileage Warning – Odometer Discrepancy”.
- The buyer(s) signs and prints name(s) on the two lines provided.
- Next to the buyer signatures the seller must print name(s) and sign on the lines as provided. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears on the front of the title below “NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS OF OWNER(S)”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an “OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of BOTH registered owners are required. Sign your name(s) on the line above the printed name(s) as indicated.
- State “NONE” in lienholder section.
- Keep your license plates.
- Make a Bill of Sale for yourself and the buyer. Give year, make and model, VIN, name and addresses of seller and buyer, the sales price, and the date. Seller and buyer sign.
- For assistance there are Alabama license agents throughout the state. Locations can be found at http://revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/statemap.cfm
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Need to transfer your title in Alabama, but it’s lost or stolen? Check out our Alabama Lost / Damaged Title Transfer Instructions when I sell my car.
Where to Sign the Alabama Title For Sellers
Sell Car in these Alabama cities for specific info:
You are here: