In order to properly complete a South Dakota title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer
South Dakota provides and maintains your motor vehicle records electronically at MySDcars. As the seller (with South Dakota Driver’s license) you can open an account at https://apps.sd.gov/RV66Portal/userlogin.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2frv66portal%2 . Otherwise, you may be making several trips to your local County Treasurer’s office (locations are shown at http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/County%20Treasurer%20Office%20Contact%20Info_May%202015.pdf )
You cannot sell your vehicle without a “Seller’s Permit” (ID number). Obtain this with your online account noted above, or visit your local County Treasurer Office. Then you can move on to signing over your actual paper title:
- If there are any liens shown on the front lower part of the title, the release section to the right of the lienholder must have been completed and accepted by the State.
- Now, in the middle on the back of the title you will fill in the ODOMETER information if the vehicle is less than 10 years old. In the space provided enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box below that says “Stated mileage is not the actual mileage – warning-odometer discrepancy”.
- To the right of the ODOMETER section is the “DAMAGE” section. If the vehicle is less than 7 years old, check off the answers to the questions.
- In the next section fill in the date of sale and the selling price in the first two boxes. Below that, PRINT the seller’s name (or names) as indicated. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY as appears above on the front of the title below “OWNER(S) NAME”. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!). Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an an “OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. Otherwise, the signatures and printed names of of BOTH registered owners are required. Sign on the line below the printed name(s) as indicated.
- To the left of the seller’s section the purchaser(s) must print his name(s) and sign on the lines provided.
- Use your online account to make the required Seller’s Report of Sale, or get mail-in form online at https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1642V4-SellersReportOfSale.pdf (or go to County office)
- Print and submit the required Bill of Sale. Form is at https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0860V1-BillOfSale.pdf . (or go to County Office).
- Keep your license plates.
Also Keep in Mind…
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write neatly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
Where to Sign South Dakota Title
If your South Dakota car title was lost or damaged check out our helpful resources.