In order to properly complete an Oregon title upon sale, follow these instructions:
Seller / Registered Owner Title Transfer
- Do not erase anything or use “white-out”
- Do not cross out or scratch anything out
- Write nearly with good handwriting
- Only use BLACK or BLUE ink
- Use actual names…no nicknames!
- Don’t Make Mistakes!
- Any errors can void the document!
As the seller, you will only fill in information on the back side of the title document. However, you will be checking and and/or re-entering information from the front side.
In the middle of the back page is the section for information to be filled in:
- In the block in the upper left corner (date of sale or transfer) enter the date you are making the sale: month/day/year
- In the block to the right of the date, PRINT the name of the buyer, and in the block below it PRINT the address of the buyer.
- In the block below the date (odometer reading) enter your mileage EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR ODOMETER. DO NOT INCLUDE “TENTHS”. If the odometer does not reflect the actual miles on the car, check the box that says “The odometer reading is NOT the actual mileage. WARNING-ODOMETER DISCREPANCY”. If the odometer reflects the actual mileage don’t check off any box.
- In the next section PRINT in each block the name of the seller or sellers as they appear on the front side of the Title under the section called “OWNER/LESSEE”. MAKE SURE TO PRINT YOUR NAME (OR NAMES) EXACTLY AS ON THE FRONT SIDE. (DON’T USE SHORT NAMES OR NICKNAMES!) There are three separate blocks provided on the back side for each name, if there is more than one name on the front side of the Title. The Owner’s then sign in the block next to each name, according to the following rule:Where there are TWO registered owners listed on the title, you must check to see if there is an “AND”, an “OR” or nothing listed between the registered owners’ names. If there is an “OR”, EITHER registered owner can sign and print their name using the instructions above. IF there is an “AND”, or nothing listed, the signatures and printed names of of BOTH registered owners are required.
- Below the names there’s one more block for “Seller’s address”, only to be filled in if your current address is different from what is on the front side.
- Notify Oregon DMV of the transaction within 10 days. You can notify Oregon of the sale online at https://dmv.odot.state.or.us/
cf/vehiclesell/index.cfm or, via paper form http://www.odot.state.or.us/ forms/dmv/6890.pdf. You can also complete and submit seller notice on back of your vehicle registration card, but the online link is the easiest.
7. Be sure to give buyer a sales receipt (Bill of Sale) because they will need it to get a new title at the Oregon DMV.
Duplicate Title in Oregon
Please refer to our Oregon replacement title instructions for duplicate titles if your title has been lost or damaged.
Seller Signature on the Oregon Title
You are here: